Do you need a better way to compare low-cost Honda Civic insurance in Columbia? No one in their right mind fancies paying their premiums for insurance, in particular when they could find better prices if they shop around.
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that nearly 70% of drivers have purchased from the same company for more than four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never quoted insurance rates at all. Columbia drivers could save nearly $750 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they just assume it's a time-consuming process to compare rates online.
Many car insurance companies compete for your business, and it can be difficult to compare rates to discover the definitive lowest price on Honda Civic insurance in Columbia.
If you already have coverage, you will be able to shop for the lowest rates using the techniques presented in this article. Buying the cheapest insurance in Columbia can really be easy if you know what you're doing. But South Carolina vehicle owners benefit from understanding how companies determine premium rates and use it to your advantage.
Car insurance providers offering affordable rate quotes in South Carolina
The car insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in South Carolina. If multiple providers are shown, it's a good idea that you visit several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$256||$530||$342||$20||$102||$1,250||$104|
|Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$198||$518||$320||$18||$96||$1,150||$96|
|Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$130||$302||$352||$20||$106||$910||$76|
|Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$248||$612||$436||$26||$130||$1,452||$121|
|Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$136||$372||$444||$26||$132||$1,110||$93|
|Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$220||$612||$386||$22||$116||$1,356||$113|
|Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$180||$512||$410||$24||$122||$1,248||$104|
|Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$126||$314||$320||$18||$96||$874||$73|
|Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$258||$694||$412||$24||$124||$1,512||$126|
|Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$252||$740||$482||$28||$144||$1,646||$137|
|Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$140||$390||$386||$22||$116||$1,054||$88|
|Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$128||$322||$410||$24||$122||$1,006||$84|
|Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$332||$624||$342||$20||$102||$1,420||$118|
|Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$232||$580||$410||$24||$122||$1,368||$114|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Rate information does not factor in specific Columbia garaging location which can decrease or increase auto insurance rates considerably.
Male drivers compared to female drivers
The information below illustrates the comparison of Honda Civic auto insurance costs for male and female drivers. Data assumes no tickets, no at-fault accidents, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied.
Score discounts on Columbia insurance
Some providers do not list all available discounts very clearly, so here is a list some of the best known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- Lower Rates for Military - Having an actively deployed family member may lower your insurance rates slightly.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices prevent vehicle theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Sign Online - A few larger online companies will give a small break just for signing your application on the internet.
- Early Renewal Discounts - Some companies give discounts for switching policies prior to the expiration date on your current Civic insurance policy. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Government Employees - Active or former government employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Columbia car insurance but check with your company.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Pay Upfront and Save - If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying in monthly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Drive Less and Save - Driving less could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
Policy discounts save money, but some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like you can get free auto insurance, companies don't profit that way. Any amount of discount should definitely cut your policy premium.
A list of companies and a selection of discounts are included below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple policy, good student, and good driver.
- Progressive offers discounts including online quote discount, homeowner, good student, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
- Travelers policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, student away at school, home ownership, continuous insurance, multi-policy, new car, and save driver.
- American Family has savings for bundled insurance, accident-free, Steer into Savings, early bird, defensive driver, and TimeAway discount.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for safety features, new move discount, multi-policy, preferred payment discount, and newly retired.
Before buying, ask each company how you can save money. Savings may not be offered in Columbia. To choose insurance companies that offer discounts in South Carolina, follow this link.
Components of Your Honda Civic Insurance Prices
When buying car insurance it's important to understand a few of the rating criteria that help determine your premiums. If you have a feel for what determines premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find much lower annual insurance costs.
The list below includes a few of the "ingredients" used by companies to determine your premiums.
- Annual miles impacts prices - Driving more miles each year the more you'll pay to insure it. Almost all companies rate vehicles based on how the vehicle is used. Vehicles that do not get driven very much can be on a lower rate level than vehicles that have high annual mileage. It's a smart idea to ensure your policy properly reflects the correct driver usage. Incorrect rating for your Civic may be costing you.
- Your spouse saves you money - Having a wife or husband can get you a discount compared to being single. Having a spouse is viewed as being more mature and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Safeguard your assets with liability - Liability insurance will provide protection in the event that you are responsible for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Liability provides for a legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. It is affordable coverage compared to comp and collision, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- More performance means higher prices - The performance level of the vehicle you are insuring makes a significant difference in your auto insurance rates. Because the Honda Civic is a passenger car, insurance will be similar in price or lower compared to average rates in Columbia. Small economy passenger cars usually have the lowest rates, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Only buy extra policy coverages you need - There are a lot of extra bells and whistles that can add up when buying car insurance. Add-on coverages like rental car reimbursement, towing, and term life insurance are examples of these. The coverages may be enticing when buying your policy, but if they're wasting money think about removing them and cutting costs.
- Discounts for alarm systems - Choosing a vehicle that has a built-in theft deterrent system can save you some money. Theft prevention devices such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all help stop car theft.
- Raise physical damage deductibles and save - Comp and collision deductibles are the amount of money you are required to pay in the event of a claim. Physical damage protection, also known as collision and other-than-collision, insures against damage to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered would be rearending another vehicle, vandalism, and damage from wind. The more you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Honda Civic insurance loss probability - Auto insurance companies use claims history to help determine the price you pay. Models that historically have higher number or severity of losses will cost more for coverage. The table below illustrates the loss history for Honda Civic vehicles.
For each coverage type, the loss probablilty for all vehicles averaged together is set at 100. Numbers under 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while values over 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or statistically larger losses.
Honda Civic Insurance Claim Statistics
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Honda Civic 92 105 68 127 135 121 Honda Civic Hybrid 90 85 106 105 78 Honda Civic Si 126 97 117 124 104
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Compare prices but buy from a local neighborhood Columbia car insurance agent
A small number of people would prefer to have an agent's advice. A good thing about getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain lower prices and still have a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Columbia that can give you free Columbia car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won't even need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. You can get cheaper insurance rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you have a need to compare rates from a particular provider, feel free to visit that company's website and fill out their quote form.
Choosing an insurance company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. The following questions are important to ask.
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
Types of auto insurance agents in Columbia
If you are wanting to find local Columbia agents, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents to choose from. Insurance policy providers are either exclusive or independent.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents are contracted to one company and examples are Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot shop your coverage around so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive insurance agents are very knowledgeable on their company's products which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Shown below are Columbia exclusive insurance agencies who may provide you with comparison quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are not restricted to one company and that allows them to write policies amongst many companies and get you the best rates possible. If premiums increase, your agent can switch companies and the insured can keep the same agent. If you need lower rates, we recommend you compare quotes from a couple of independent agencies to have the best price comparison.
Shown below are independent insurance agents in Columbia willing to provide comparison quotes.
If you receive positive feedback to all your questions as well as cheap Civic insurance quotes, you may have just found an insurance agency that can be relied on to adequately provide insurance.
But they said I'd save $392 a year!
Insurance providers like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive endlessly run ads in print and on television. They all seem to make the point that people will save just by switching to their company. It sounds good, but how can they all make the same claim? It's all in the numbers.
Insurance companies can use profiling for the right customer they prefer to insure. For example, this type of driver may be between the ages of 30 and 50, owns a home, and has a short commute. A customer getting a price quote that fits those parameters receives the best car insurance rates in Columbia and as a result will probably save quite a bit of money when switching.
Potential insureds who fall outside this stringent profile may be required to pay higher prices with the end result being business not being written. If you listen to the ad wording, they say "customers that switch" not "all people who quote" save the amount stated. This is how insurance companies can advertise the way they do. Because of these techniques, you need to compare quotes as often as possible. It is impossible to guess the company that will have the best car insurance rates for your profile.
Affordable auto insurance premiums are possible
You just learned many tips how you can get a better price on Honda Civic insurance in Columbia. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Columbia car insurance, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the lowest rates are with a small mutual company. Some small companies often have lower car insurance rates on specific markets compared to the large companies like Progressive or GEICO.
Budget-friendly auto insurance in Columbia is attainable on the web and from local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers don't offer rates over the internet and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
When getting Columbia car insurance quotes online, it's a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice full coverage to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
More tips and info about auto insurance is available by following these links:
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)