How long has it been since you compared lower-priced Honda CR-V insurance in Columbia? Buying budget Columbia Honda CR-V insurance quotes over the internet can seem to be somewhat intimidating for vehicle owners new to buying their auto insurance over the internet. With so many agents and insurers available, how are we expected to be able to compare the different rates to find the best available rates?
A recent auto insurance study revealed that a large majority of consumers have bought auto insurance from the same company for at least four years, and just short of a majority have never compared rates from other carriers. Most drivers in the United States could save an average of almost 46.5% each year, but they underestimate the amount of money they would save if they just switched companies.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Columbia is really quite simple as long as you have a good starting point. Virtually everyone who is looking for a better price on car insurance most likely will find a lower-cost policy. But South Carolina drivers must comprehend how insurance companies calculate your car insurance rates because rates fluctuate considerably.
Most companies give insurance quotes on their websites. Getting online rates for Honda CR-V insurance in Columbia is very simple as you just type in the coverages you want on the page. Once you submit the form, their rating system gets your credit score and driving record and generates a price based on these and other factors.
Using the web to get price quotes for Honda CR-V insurance in Columbia makes it simple to compare prices and it's absolutely necessary to perform this step if you are searching for cheap rates.
To compare rates using this form now, take a look at the companies shown below. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend that you enter the coverages as shown on your current policy. This way, you are getting an apples-to-apples comparison based on similar coverages.
The companies shown below provide quotes in South Carolina. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you click on several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|CR-V LX 2WD||$200||$370||$278||$16||$84||$948||$79|
|CR-V EX 2WD||$180||$332||$378||$22||$112||$1,024||$85|
|CR-V LX 4WD||$180||$332||$378||$22||$112||$1,024||$85|
|CR-V EX 4WD||$206||$332||$378||$22||$112||$1,050||$88|
|CR-V EX-L 2WD||$252||$428||$304||$18||$92||$1,094||$91|
|CR-V EX-L 4WD||$240||$336||$298||$18||$90||$982||$82|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and South Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and claim-free. Estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can alter premium rates considerably.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The example below examines Honda CR-V auto insurance rates with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The rate quotes are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $500 deductibles, married female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no definitive formula for dropping comp and collision coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let's say your Honda CR-V claim settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company would pay you is $4,000 after paying your deductible. If you are currently paying more than $400 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some situations where removing full coverage is not recommended. If you haven't paid off your loan, you have to keep full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Protect more than your vehicle
Despite the high insurance cost for a Honda CR-V in Columbia, buying car insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, most banks will stipulate that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may insure your Honda at an extremely high rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance protects not only your Honda CR-V but also your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical bills incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If your Honda gets damaged, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your CR-V definitely exceed the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is wasting up to $850 per year so it's very important to do a rate comparison each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Auto insurance discounts are available to get cheap rates
Auto insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there may be some discounts that many consumers don't even know exist. Many discounts should be triggered when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up before driving can save a little off the personal injury premium cost.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles with anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Drivers Education - Teen drivers should complete a driver education course as it can save substantially.
- New Vehicle Savings - Putting auto insurance coverage on a new CR-V can save you some money since new vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Telematics Data Discounts - People who choose to allow their insurance company to look at driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as State Farm's In-Drive may get a rate reduction if they have good driving habits.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a lower auto insurance rate if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Claim-Free Discount - Insureds who avoid accidents and claims are rewarded with significantly better rates on Columbia car insurance quote in comparison with bad drivers.
As is typical with insurance, some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn't work that way.
If you would like to see a list of insurers that offer many of these discounts in South Carolina, click this link.
Compare rates but work with a local Columbia insurance agent
Some people still prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is a personal choice. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that drivers can get lower rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your information is immediately sent to companies in Columbia that can provide free Columbia car insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. There is no reason to leave your house due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. You can find better rates without requiring a lot of work. In the event you want to quote rates from a specific car insurance provider, don't hesitate to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Picking an insurer requires more thought than just a low price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Columbia?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Columbia?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
If you would like to find a reliable insurance agent, there are two different types of agents and how they operate. Columbia agents can be classified as either independent or exclusive.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel work for only one company and examples are American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. These agents are trained well on their company's products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers frequently buy from the same agent for years mainly due to loyalty to the company rather than having the cheapest rates.
The following are exclusive agents in Columbia who can help you get rate quotes.
- James Tanner - State Farm Insurance Agent
1821 Clemson Rd #1 - Columbia, SC 29229 - (803) 865-7800 - View Map
- Shannon Rikard - State Farm Insurance Agent
384 St Andrews Rd - Columbia, SC 29210 - (803) 391-3777 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance - Steven Price Agency
2759 Rosewood Dr - Columbia, SC 29205 - (803) 779-4060 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel can sell policies from many different companies so they can insure your vehicles through many different car insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If premiums increase, your agent can just switch to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent.
When comparison shopping, you need to get rate quotes from several independent agencies to have the best price comparison. Many write coverage with companies you've never heard of who may have lower rates.
The following are Columbia independent agents willing to provide price quote information.
- Theodore and Associates
1700 Laurel St - Columbia, SC 29201 - (803) 799-9979 - View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Ernie Yarborough Jr
1034 Briargate Cir - Columbia, SC 29210 - (803) 798-0692 - View Map
- Giles Insurance Agency
2442 Devine St - Columbia, SC 29205 - (803) 728-3318 - View Map
Specific coverages for a Honda CR-V
Having a good grasp of your car insurance policy can help you determine appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your Honda CR-V.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 25/50/25), their limits can quickly be used up. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like damage from getting keyed, theft and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your CR-V from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against claims like sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a building and driving through your garage door. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also choose a higher deductible on your CR-V to bring the cost down.
This protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other's property or people in an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 25/50/25 which means $25,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims like repair bills for other people's vehicles, funeral expenses, emergency aid, bail bonds and court costs. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but you should buy as much as you can afford. South Carolina state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/25 but drivers should carry higher limits.
Insurance for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for immediate expenses for EMT expenses, doctor visits and prosthetic devices. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
One last thing to lower rates
People who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, delays in paying claims, high rates after DUI convictions and even questionable increases in premium. It doesn't matter what your reason, finding a great new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
Budget-friendly insurance in Columbia is definitely available online and from local insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies don't offer online price quotes and these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agencies.
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how to save on Honda CR-V insurance in Columbia. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the lowest car insurance rates come from the least-expected company.
More information is located at the links below
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)