Do you think you bought an underperforming, overpriced insurance policy? You're preaching to the choir because you're not alone.
Sad but true, most drivers in South Carolina have remained with the same insurance company for four years or more, and approximately 38% of consumers have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. American insurance shoppers could pocket up to $850 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they feel it's too difficult to shop their coverage around. Lots of auto insurance companies contend for your business, so it's not easy to compare every insurance company to get the best rates possible on Chevy Sonic insurance in Columbia.
If you have insurance now or are looking for a new policy, use these money-saving tips to shop for the lowest rates without reducing coverage. Locating the best insurance company for you in Columbia is actually very simple if you learn how to start. Drivers just need to learn the quickest way to shop for car insurance instantly.
The method we recommend to compare policy rates for Chevy Sonic insurance in Columbia is to understand most insurance companies pay for the opportunity to compare rate quotes. The only thing you need to do is spend a couple of minutes providing details like the type of vehicles you drive, your job, your education level, and an estimate of your credit level. That rating information is submitted instantly to insurance carriers in your area and they return rate quotes quickly.
To compare rates for your Chevy Sonic now, click here and enter your coverage details.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Columbia, SC. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Columbia, maintaining insurance is required for several reasons.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, almost every bank will require you to buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may insure your Chevy at an extremely high rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves not only your Chevy but also your assets. Insurance will also pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially when you need to use it. According to a recent study, the average American driver overpays as much as $700 annually so it's recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
What Affects Chevy Sonic Insurance Premiums?
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that play a part in calculating your insurance rates. If you have a feel for what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make good choices that may result in big savings. Many factors are used when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, but other factors are not quite as obvious like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating.
The itemized list below are some of the things that factor into your rates.
Consolidating policies can get discounts - The majority of companies afford discounts for people who buy several policies from them. It's known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, it's in your best interest to get quotes from other companies to ensure the best deal.
Keep rates low by being claim-free - Car insurance companies in South Carolina provide most affordable rates to people who are claim-free. If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Poor credit decisions can cost you - Your credit history is a large factor in your rate calculation. People with excellent credit scores tend to file fewer claims as compared to drivers with poor credit. Therefore, if your credit history can use some improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your Chevrolet Sonic by improving your credit score.
Extra policy coverages that may not be needed - There are a ton of extra add-on coverages that may not really be needed if you aren't careful. Insurance for rental car coverage, death and dismemberment, and Farm Bureau memberships may be costing you every month. You may think they are a good idea when buying your policy, but if you've never needed them in the past remove them and pocket the money.
Insurance loss statistics a Chevy Sonic - Insurance companies use historical loss data to determine a rate that will be profitable for them. Models that the data shows to have high amounts or severity of claims will have a higher premium rate.
The table shown below demonstrates the loss history for Chevy Sonic vehicles. For each type of coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles as a whole is considered to be 100. Values under 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Sonic Models
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Cheap Chevy Sonic insurance in Columbia
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there's a good chance there are discounts that many people don't even know exist. Some trigger automatically at the time you complete a quote, but less common discounts must be specially asked for in order for you to get them.
- Driver Education Discount - It's a good idea to have your young drivers take driver's ed class in high school.
- Early Renewal Discounts - Some auto insurance companies provide a discount for switching companies prior to your current Sonic insurance policy expiration. It could save around 10% when you buy Columbia car insurance online.
- Responsible Driver Discounts - Drivers who don't get into accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Telematics Discount - Drivers who elect to allow driving data collection to spy on driving manner remotely like Allstate's Drivewise might see lower rates if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Payment Method - If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
- Save over 55 - Older drivers may receive a discount up to 10%.
- Organization Discounts - Belonging to qualifying employment or professional organizations could qualify you for a break when getting a Columbia car insurance quote.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though you would think adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
Popular auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, multiple autos, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, and student away at school.
- GEICO may include discounts for defensive driver, good student, air bags, federal employee, driver training, and multi-policy.
- Allstate includes discounts for eSmart discount, good payer, EZ pay plan discount, anti-theft, new car, multi-policy, and utility vehicle.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, drive less, anti-lock brakes, and multi-car.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts for renewal discount, youthful driver, safe driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and driver training.
- Progressive may offer discounts for good student, online signing, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- AAA has discounts for AAA membership discount, multi-car, good driver, education and occupation, pay-in-full, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
When comparing rates, check with every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some credits might not apply in your state.
Can't I compare prices from local Columbia auto insurance agents?
Certain consumers prefer to get advice from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision Good agents will help you protect your assets and help in the event of a claim. A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local insurance agents is important particularly in Columbia.
Upon completion of this quick form, the quote information is submitted to local insurance agents in Columbia who will gladly provide quotes to get your business. You won't even need to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered directly to you. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
When searching for a reliable insurance agency, there are two different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agencies in Columbia may be either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either one can sell insurance policies, but it is important to understand why they differ because it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are not limited to a single company and that allows them to write policies through many companies and potentially find a lower price. If they find a lower price, they simply switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent.
When shopping rates, it's recommended you include at a minimum one independent agency to get the most accurate price comparison.
Listed below is a short list of independent agencies in Columbia that can give you free rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only place business with one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. They are unable to provide other company's prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. They are highly trained on what they offer which aids in selling service over price.
Shown below are Columbia exclusive agents that can give you comparison quotes.
Finding the right insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. Get answers to these questions too.
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Columbia?
- Do the coverages you're quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in South Carolina?
After you get answers to your satisfaction to these questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you may have found a car insurance agent that is a good match to service your policy. But keep in mind you are entitled to cancel your policy for any reason so don't assume that you are permanently stuck with any particular company for the entire policy term.
Quote often and quote early
Budget-friendly insurance in Columbia can be bought on the web as well as from independent agents in Columbia, so you need to quote Columbia car insurance with both to have the best rate selection. Some companies do not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent agents.
In this article, we presented many tips how you can lower your Chevy Sonic insurance premium rates in Columbia. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the best premium rates are with some of the smallest insurance companies. These companies often have lower prices on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
Additional detailed information can be found at these sites: