No sane person looks forward to paying premiums for insurance, especially when they are paying too much.
Astonishing but true, the vast majority of consumers have remained with the same insurance company for four years or more, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. South Carolina insurance shoppers could save themselves approximately 55% a year, but they don't believe how much savings they would realize if they switched.
There are many auto insurance companies to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have multiple companies, it can be more difficult to find the lowest rates for GMC Acadia insurance in Columbia.
Consumers need to get comparison quotes on a regular basis due to the fact that insurance prices change frequently. If you had the best rates on GMC Acadia insurance in Columbia at your last renewal there may be better deals available now. Ignore everything you know about insurance because you're about to find out one of the easiest ways to buy cheaper GMC Acadia insurance in Columbia.
Locating the best rates in Columbia is really not that difficult. If you have coverage now, you will most likely be able to lower your rates using the ideas covered in this article. But South Carolina consumers do need to understand the methods companies use to determine premium rates because rates fluctuate considerably.
You Can Change Your Insurance Costs
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing the different types of things that go into determining the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that can help you get cheaper rates.
The factors shown below are some of the things used by companies to determine your rates.
- Avoid unnecessary add-on coverages - There are a ton of extra add-on coverages that can add up when buying auto insurance. Insurance for things like vanishing deductibles, death and dismemberment, and extra life insurance coverage may be wasting your money. The coverages may be enticing initially, but if you have no use for them get rid of them and save.
- Tickets can be expensive - How you drive impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Even one driving citation can increase rates substantially. Attentive drivers get better prices compared to drivers with tickets. People who have multiple citations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may face state-mandated requirements to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with the DMV in their state in order to legally drive a vehicle.
- Pay more of a claim out-of-pocket - Insurance for physical damage to your car, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, insures against damage to your GMC. Examples of some claims that would be covered could be a windshield shattered by a rock, damage from fire, or theft. Comp and collision deductibles represent how much money the insured will be required to pay before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more expense you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the less money you will pay for auto insurance.
- Are you male or female? - Statistics have proven that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, don't assume that men are WORSE drivers than women. Both genders are in accidents at about the same rate, but the males have costlier accidents. Men also statistically receive more costly citations such as reckless driving.
- Auto insurance rates and your job - Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for auto insurance? Jobs like real estate brokersair traffic controllers and medical professionals tend to have the highest rates attributed to stressful work requirements and long work days. On the flip side, careers like professors, engineers and performers get better rates.
- Theft deterrents systems cut prices - Selecting a car model that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Systems that thwart theives such as GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- Insurance loss statistics a GMC Acadia - Insurers use historical loss data when they file their rates in each state. Vehicles that tend to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The table below outlines the compiled insurance loss statistics for GMC Acadia vehicles. For each coverage category, the statistical loss for all vehiclesaveraged together is set at 100. Values that are under 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while numbers above 100 indicate frequent claims or tendancy to have higher losses.
Car Insurance Loss Data for GMC Acadia Models
Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury GMC Acadia 4dr 2WD 75 86 73 71 69 80 GMC Acadia 4dr 4WD 83 100 88 62 63 80
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
The are a couple different ways to obtain and compare prices from many different South Carolina insurance companies. The best method to comparison shop is to jump online and get quotes.
It's so fast and easy to compare quotes online that it replaces the need to actually drive to insurance agencies in your area. The ability to quote GMC Acadia insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you require the trained guidance only provided by licensed agents. If you prefer, some companies allow you to price shop your coverage online but purchase the actual policy in an agency. Keep in mind that comparing more rates from different companies provides better odds of finding more affordable insurance. Not every company allows you to get rate quotes online, so it's important to compare rates on coverage from those companies, too.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide price quotes in Columbia, SC. If several companies are displayed, it's a good idea that you visit as many as you can in order to find the most competitive rates.
Misconceptions in auto insurance advertisements
Auto insurance providers like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm seem to constantly run ads on TV and radio. All the ads try to convey promises about how much you will save just by moving your policy. How does every company charge you a lower premium? It's all in how they say it.
Companies quote their cheapest rates for the type of driver that is profitable for them. One example of this type of insured could possibly be over the age of 50, has a clean driving record, and drives a safe vehicle. Any person that meets those criteria will probably get cheap rates and will save quite a bit of money when switching.
Consumers who fall outside this ideal profile will have to pay more expensive rates with the end result being the customer buying from a different company. Company advertisements say "drivers that switch" not "all people who quote" save that kind of money. That's the way insurance companies can make it sound like they have such great car insurance rates. This illustrates why you really need to get a wide range of price quotes. You cannot predict which insurance companies will have the best rates for your profile.
Auto insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a GMC Acadia in Columbia, insuring your vehicle is a good idea for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In South Carolina these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your GMC, it's most likely the lender will make it mandatory that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your GMC at an extremely high rate and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance protects both your car and your personal assets. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays expenses related to your legal defense if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your GMC gets damaged, your policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. An average driver in America is overpaying more than $865 each year so smart consumers compare quotes at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Score discounts on Columbia insurance
Some companies don't always advertise the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down some of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts that may be available.
- Cautious Driver Discount - Drivers who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Drivers who insure multiple cars or trucks on a single policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Early Switch Discount - Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them before your current coverage expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower premium rate if you buy life insurance.
- Driver's Ed - Teen drivers should complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
- Sign Online - A handful of larger companies give back up to $50 for signing up digitally online.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company they may give you a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
As is typical with insurance, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So even though you would think all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies aren't that generous. Any qualifying discounts will cut the premium cost.
To view insurance companies who offer discounts in South Carolina, click here to view.
Buying from insurance agents
Some people still like to buy from a local agent and that can be a great decision One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is that you can obtain the best rates but also keep your business local.
Once you complete this short form, your information is sent to agents in your area that can provide free Columbia auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't even need to contact an agency since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. You'll get the best rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you have a need to compare prices from a particular provider, feel free to visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Finding the right company requires more thought than just a low price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Columbia?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in South Carolina?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
When researching a reliable insurance agency, you need to know there are two different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Auto insurance agents can be classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. These agents are not able to place coverage with different providers so it's a take it or leave it situation. These agents are well trained on their company's products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
The following are Columbia exclusive insurance agencies who may provide you with comparison quotes.
Agents in the independent channel often have affiliation with several companies and that allows them to write policies through many companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a cheaper price, they simply move your policy to a different company which is easy for the insured. When shopping rates, it's recommended you get quotes from a few independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Listed below are Columbia independent insurance agencies who can help you get price quotes.
Your insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When it comes to your policy for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Every insured's situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your situation may require specific advice.
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- When can I cancel my policy?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- When should I not buy collision coverage?
- What if I total my GMC Acadia and owe more than it's worth?
If you can't answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Do the work, save more money
We've covered a lot of ways to shop for GMC Acadia insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
As you prepare to switch companies, it's very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that it was a big mistake. The goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.